Thursday, January 12, 2012

Crazy, Stupid, Love. (2011)


Directed by Glenn Ficarra, John Requa. In general, I don't trust movies co-directed by more than one person and this one is not an exception. I went in skeptically for a number of reasons, and my suspicion was rewarded. "Crazy, Stupid, Love." attempts to present a character-driven comic drama about the ironies of contemporary relationships. Unfortunately by the third act it has become so carried away with itself and has long forgotten the strengths of its characters or even its ensemble cast, which includes Steve Carell, Julianne Moore, Emma Stone, Marisa Tomei, Kevin Bacon and naturally, Ryan Gosling, though at this point it's probably easier to tell you which films he is not in.

So the first half of the film can be recommended on its strengths and the second half can be recommended depending on your curiosity to see a movie in which nobody at the high school graduation thinks it seems weird that the father of the salutatorian takes over his son's graduation speech and makes it all about him. Which by the way, is eventually received by a applause that begins with a single slow clap. Really. Crazy, stupid, ending.

1 comment:

  1. First of all Blogger just asked me to "Please prove I wasn't a robot"...that's pretty funny to me. Secondly, I don't know why all my posts are coming through as 80s Quest and not my name. When you post on my blog it doesn't say More Lost Time. I dunno why this is happening....but you know who it is, anyways. Oh damn, I think I just figured out how to remedy it. We'll see.

    I was interested to see your take on this movie. My old boss who never seems to get out of the house much unless it's to pick up a pizza was quite excited to have a night out to the premier of this movie, with all the stars and stuff. Apparently his friend's son is one of the directors, so he got invited I thought it looked dumb, but I asked him how he liked it and he raved on like it was great. But again...he doesn't get out much. Ryan Gosling looked hot in the commercials, though.

    ReplyDelete