Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)


Directed by David Fincher. Hmmm. This movie could have been made by Robert Zemeckis. Recently I saw the old Zemeckis movie "Used Cars" and thought about how much his career has changed into a new kind of moviemaking -- big budget, tech-heavy projects that skate by on ambition and star power. Spielberg and Ron Howard are big on this stuff too.

I have mixed feelings about film projects that get so much attention from their budget and ambition that it's like getting spotted 20 points in a hand of blackjack. This "Benjamin Button" movie was like that. It got a Best Picture nomination, which just seems silly. I don't see every movie that comes out but I can't believe that this was one of the best movies made last year. It was entertaining, but it's strength is a book that's been around since 1921 (which by the way you can legally print and read for free).

The flick looked great, the acting was fine, and the special effects were impressive, but I could say that about a lot of commercials. I could also say that about "Role Models" and "Hamlet 2," my two favorite comedies from last year, because comedies never get nominated.

I'll say this: this was an easy movie to exercise to, and it's so goddamn long that it encouraged me to do longer workouts. So in that respect, I liked it. I'll also admit this, which I think baffles Karen: I can't tell Cate Blanchett, who was in this, apart from Kate Winslet, who was not. In fact, to type that last sentence, I had to look up both actresses names by looking up the casts for this movie and "The Reader," because I knew the two actresses I can't tell apart are in those respective movies. Wouldn't know either of them if they cashed me out at Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment