Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Scanner Darkly (2006)


Directed by Richard Linklater. I'm not a sci-fi fan at all but I do love Richard Linklater, so I thought that might compensate for my disinterest in the plot. But, while I'm not sure how good is the Philip K. Dick book on which this movie was based, I could not get into it at all. This, like Linklater's "Waking Life," was shot on videotape and then painted using computer animation. This technique is very attractive and presents a cool aesthetic in "Waking Life" but, for whatever reason, in this movie it's kind of ugly and just looks like it's there to compensate for the cheap tape it was shot on. Plus, Keanu Reeves is in this and that's a certain impediment to any movie. He just sucks. Last and most important, the story here is just boring. Run away from this and see "Waking Life" instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment